Hawaii is dropping the only state universal child health care program in the country just seven months after it launched.
And this shocker- people were dropping their expensive coverage to get “free” government health care for their children.
“People who were already able to afford health care began to stop paying for it so they could get it for free,” said Dr. Kenny Fink, the administrator for Med-QUEST at the Department of Human Services. “I don’t believe that was the intent of the program.”
Government cannot change human nature and common sense. Why pay more for the same coverage?
The MSM will say Obama won because he didn’t have to perform- he’s ahead. This has been the same narrative for each of the debates. Obama doesn’t have to do anything but show up. Just body surf and glow while on Rolling Stone magazine every month. John McCain, a completely proven, tested, and known commodity, has to prove himself.
What’s down is up, what’s up is down.
This is an impossible task for John McCain.
Barack Obama only needs to “look presidential” and “stay cool.”
For goodness sakes, are we nominating a president or The Fonze?
Meanwhile, after late January 2009, “Heather Has Two Mommies” will be read on the 1st grade buses on the way to your local gay marriage field trip.
And what does John McCain have to do? The media says, at every debate, he must “deliver a knockout blow,” or “change the game,” or “cause Obama to make a serious mistake.”
With the bar set so low for Obama and the bar set so high for McCain, how can John McCain ever win one of these debates?
Will he or won’t he? That is the question for tonight’s debate.
Will John McCain tie Barack Obama to Bill Ayers, ACORN, and the financial mess? Or will Obama put this out of reach?
Log your opinion!
Here are a few news stories breaking this evening.
Live blogging this evening:
Here we go!
Joe The Plumber Question
– So how many times will we hear “Wall Street” and “greed”?
– PLEASE!!! Are we going to hear talking points all night?
– McCain brings up the plumber! Excellent!
– McCain is stumbling over Joe the Plumber.
– JOE THE PLUMBER JOE THE PLUMBER JOE THE PLUMBER JOE THE PLUMBER
Finally, the second question!
– Investing in health care now prevents diseases so health care in the future will be less expensive? What? Nice one Barry O!
– McCain is sounding very good on cuts in the budget and sounds like a fighter! Good for him!
Here comes the Bill Ayers stuff…
… Or maybe not! But McCain was very good.
Will Obama condemn Lewis’s remarks about McCain? Sort of, I guess, maybe.
McCain is fighting!!!!! GOOD!!!!!!
Ayers and ACORN in the same sentence!!! YES!!
McCain is hitting Ayers and ACORN. Did this really happen?
It wasn’t enough. More Ayers, more character problems, how about a question about Obama being a member of the New Party – a socialist group in Chicago- during the 1990’s?
McCain says – why do we always have to spend more? GREAT!
Obama is not really on his game tonight…lots of ummms and ahhss
McCain hits Obama on the “look at” drilling for oil. THIS IS A GREAT POINT.
McCain hits Obama on Colombia, Obama defends Colombian unions? Wha?
Health Care Question
– Obama starts of with the typical emotional health care appeal. Remember, he thinks health care is a right for every American.
– If you PAY FOR your health insurance, you are fine. We like you. You are the same suckers who pay your mortgage.
– If you DON’T PAY FOR your health insurace, you will receive it for FREE because I will fine employers who do not provide it and tax all of the responsible people in America.
– McCain – Obama will fine you if you don’t provide health care. More Joe the Plumber. I bet Joe never knew he would cause all of this drama.
– OK, so Obama only wants to fine large companies! No Democratic voters to pander to there.
– The average health care plan costs $12,000 Barry?
– Wondeful Freudian slip! Senator Government! HA!
Question on Abortion
– McCain will not impose litmus test on a Supreme Court nominee
– Who would be a Supreme Court nominee for Obama? Scary thought?
– Obama on abortion- Constitution has a right to privacy.
– McCain hist Obama on infanticide!!! FINALLY!!!!!
– Obama could possibly be the MOST EXTREME politician ever on abortion.
– We spend the most money but don’t have the best students
– McCain – throwing money at the problem is not the answer
– McCain is RIGHT ABOUT SCHOOL CHOICE AND VOUCHERS
– Why is school competition bad?
Ha! Michelle Malkin makes this great point:
Obama called on people to put down their video games, but as a McCain staffer e-mails: “But he advertises on them? Disingenuous.”
That about sums up Obama’s entire campaign. Say one thing do another. Machiavelli rules.
Get ready for Pimp My Mortgage! Go from subprime to sublime!
The government will buy your home, get you a better subprime loan, perhaps extend yet another ARM to you, or lower your interest rate- just as long as you are in trouble.
Do you have a student loan? Well, your house payment will be like that. Need a few months off to pay for that flat screen? Go ahead! Stimulate the economy! Want a lower house payment so you can buy car you cannot afford? Yeah Boy! Step up and support our economizzle, but buy American!
If you are not in trouble- if you pay your bills- then too bad! People like you are the problem with this country. You are such a sucker! Just give us your money and shut up. If you make a lot of money then give me a lot of it and shut up.
I am a McCain supporter. I donated money to his campaign, I have two bumper stickers on my car, a yard sign, and I took this picture:
I deeply respect McCain’s service to this country and I like him as a person.
However, I am beyond mad, frustrated, and angry about his promise to help those poor people on Main Street with their mortgages. This is just another form of income redistribution.
Why should I be personally responsible? To work hard for people who are not?
I’m so angry and crazy mad at McCain’s support for the “Pimp My Mortgage” plan, but the last question was a big fat hanging curve.
Instead of Mac’s closing argument from Law and Order, McCain should have used the open-ended question to ask if the people knew the real Barack Obama.
What a huge missed opportunity. It could have been a game changing moment.
“To avoid being mistaken for a sellout, I chose my friends carefully. The more politically active black students. The foreign students. The Chicanos. The Marxist Professors and structural feminists and punk-rock performance poets.” Barack Obama, “Dreams From My Father”
Summary: Campaign slogans over and over. Tom Brokaw serves up a bland diet of questions fit for a diabetic. Nothing challenging, nothing insightful, just slogans the whole night from both sides. Don’t bother to watch if you’ve DVR’d this.
Naturally, a tie goes to Obama because of his lead, his smile, and his body surfing ability. Did I mention his smile?
Obama will be said to look, “presidential” and McCain didn’t do anything to further his case. Perhaps he should get a grill to help with the youff vote.
Welcome to the “Age of Obama.” Gwen Ifill should be #1 on the NYT bestseller list at the end of January.
And, possibly the most disappointing part of the entire night – McCain says the government will buy people’s houses or renegotiate their principle. WHAT???!!!! How can we reward people with BETTER RATES THAN RESPONSIBLE HOME OWNERS AND REDUCE THE PRINCIPAL OF THEIR HOME!!!!
What’s the number to my congressman? I need to renegotiate my mortgage… no, wait, how about I:
Great. Memo to McCain Campaign: Someone is either a terrorist sympathizer or he isn’t; someone is either disqualified as a terrorist sympathizer or he’s qualified for public office. You helped portray Obama as a clealy qualified presidential candidate who would fight terrorists.
Obama will have shields up tonight, ready to deflect all of the “slime” and talk about the “real issues” of the campaign. I guess the character and judgment of the President of the United States is not a real issue.
So if BHO gets elected, who would be his Cabinet and other appointments?
Bill Ayers for Secretary of Education?
Nah… a preemptive Obama strike here counts that out. Pretty interesting they’d even preclude that argument.
Jamie Gorelick for Attorney General?
Tonight! In Search Of… An Obama plan for the economy. (none found, btw)
– McCain advocates for the government repricing of homes. Hmm. Can I revalue my home? No, we pay our bills. THIS IS SICK!!!
– McCain hits Obama on Fannie and Freddie. Is it enough? Not really.
– Obama is doing a lot of “understanding” with everyone. A 21st century, “I feel your pain” moment.
– Obama talks about his spending cuts? What specifically are his spending cuts? Defense?
– McCain says Obama earmarked a 3 million dollar overhead projector? Crazy. But is it enough?
– McCain is “reaching across the isle” all night. Yikes.
– McCain is going to cut defense spending? Is this his best point? Why doesn’t he bring up the million dollar earmark Michelle Obama received from Barack for her hospital? Come on John!
– Obama brings up the post 9/11 service angle again. Bush wanted us to shop? Of course he doesn’t think of the brave American men and women who were a part of the SERVICE- the US armed forces. What a jerk.
– If this debate continues like this Obama will be up 20 points at the end of the week.
– Obama brings up the “sharing the burden” complete nonsense line. Rich people don’t pay enough taxes in this country? This is such deception- the top 5% of earners carry the bulk of the personal tax load in this country.
– Gloves are on tonight. Where is the tough talk from McCain???
Michelle Malkin is right, what about the earmarks for the bailout? Did McCain vote against these?
First Internet question: What sacrifices will Americans have to make?
McCain talks about eliminating government programs.
“We have to eliminate the earmarks.”
Except all the ones he just supported in the Crap Sandwich bailout!
Obama- government scientists invented the computer?! HAHAHA
Obama question: Should healthcare be treated as a commodity? He won’t answer this question directly.
Obama – healthcare is a right in America. Wow.
So is home ownership.
The Obama Doctrine! Here it is:
It is an enduring Democratic principle that this duty obligates the left to invent, anticipate and counter racial threats, using all elements of power, before the threats can do grave damage. The greater the threat, the greater is the risk of inaction – and the more compelling the case for taking anticipatory action to defend ourselves, even if uncertainty remains as to the time and place of the enemy’s attack. There are few greater threats than a racial attack. To forestall or prevent such hostile acts by our adversaries, the Democrats will, if necessary, act preemptively in exercising our inherent right of self-defense.
I love that Obama knows how to pronounce Paaak -ee- stan just like a Pakistani.
Still waiting for that big Bill Ayers moment… will it happen?
I think I heard all of these answers a few weeks ago. Can’t we have another VP debate?
Take a look at the audience during the foreign policy. ZZZZ.
McCain gives a great answer on Iran attacking Israel- we would support Israel.
Last question – “What don’t you know?” McCain should have said – who really is Barack Obama? Do you know this person? I bet you don’t.
NO BILL AYERS REFERENCE OR QUESTIONS.
This debate was a snoozer. Almost the same as the other.